Friday, April 5, 2013

Acting and Stuttering all have breathing in common, who knew? Stuttergirl.

Man Man Man. Ok so Ive just begun rehearsals this week for the play that I am in. I AM POOPED!!!! Not to mention this week I also got some virus that has been circling around the city...it has been crazy!!!!!!! But I am back and with an update.

SO as far as speech goes, I have been voluntary stuttering with 3 people that I do not know daily. For three days this week, I let myself off the hook, and didn't do the assignment...I know GASP! But I was sick, and the last thing I care to think about while trying to keep from getting nauseous on the subway is how to breathe and control my secondaries while speaking...too much for any human.

However this week we had our first reading of the play as a cast. This was only a high fear situation for me because for this reading, all of the staff of the theatre that I will be working at attended this reading. This is where they find out if they hired the right person and can quickly swap you out need be. So for this reading I made sure that I was very familiar with the script, but also, I gave myself one thing to focus on and that was breathing. I told myself, "don't worry about the acting or being a good actor, just make sure you continue to speak on breathe." And this worked for me...it actually worked so well, that I have begun incorporating this now in my daily voluntary stuttering assignments. Now that I am no longer as fearful as I once was in these situations I can work on these tools. And even though I have just begun this new phase of this process, I can see the change, it is slow, which I expect, and I am trying to learn to stop looking for progress and continue doing what I know is helpful and good for me without need for  immediate change, but sometimes being able to see some sort of change absolutely propels me to work harder and become more and more disciplined.

Thats all for this week. All in All this week was interesting, but it flew by, the beauty of being constantly busy. I hope for this to continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment