Monday, October 13, 2014

Day 43 #100TerrifyingDays

Hey friends, well its back to work I go asking people if they'd like paper or plastic. Im excited for the day we start charging for bags when grocery shopping, so many other countries charge, and we do in some places in the States, but I'm tired of our entitled customer thinking that paper just grows on trees...that never have to get cut down and if they are, they regrow magically within seconds. Anyway todays challenge was with a co-worker of mines. Today was my first day back from work in almost 3 weeks, and of course everyone questions was, Where were you? I have a great story, obviously, but I had the chance to really challenge my patience with myself while talking to a co-worker about stuttering, and how people have a very difficult time understanding it, and how Id love to spread some awareness, so people can stop being such asses to people who do stutter. I talked to her about the psychological side that people can experience, and how years of not saying what you want to say for fear of being ridiculed can weigh on you mentally. Yes, I stuttered during this talk, however I was very aware with myself and made sure I stayed comfortable while speaking the entire time. Whats more important than my own comfort when sharing my story? Even when emotions got high, I had to re-find my cool calm place, it felt good to work on another aspect of stuttering that wasn't just a tool, or a goal. Talking is supposed to be fun, and enjoyable and I want to find the fun in it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment