Sunday, September 7, 2014

Day 13 #100TerrifyingDays

So here is another "well meaning" person at Trader Joes saying something not so smart. The upper westside customers never cease to amaze me with their comments. Last night I slept with the air conditioner on, so I woke up this morning with a horribly scratchy throat, and runny nose, and went to work with this. So, we change jobs nearly every hour unless you're on register, so for this particular hour throughout the day I was working the elevator, with all the moms with strollers and elderly people and random people just wanting attention its quite exhausting. So I had an elevator full of people and this elderly lady asked me a question, I stuttered, she asked if I was ok, I said yes I stutter. She said, I bet you sing beautifully though. I know this was well meaning, and what not but, maybe I'm just over all of it, all of the "nice" comments rapped in sympathy, and what not. My reply was, I speak beautifully as well. She wasn't expecting this, I could tell by her face when she heard this. By this time the elevator opened on the top floor and she walked out. There was a day when I would have agreed and said, yes I do sing, but that wasn't important, what was important was my pride in who I am. This took courage, and I did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment