Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Day 29 #100TerrifyingDays

Paris...Paris is lovely, but boy is it difficult to get the people designated to help you, to actually help you. So I went to lunch today to meet Burt and Jeanne two Parisian friends who stutter as well, to eat, chat, and do a little sight seeing, but of course I had to take the train to get there. Being a New Yorker, I pretty much understand subways, Once I see the map and know where Im going, I get the hang of it pretty quickly, however today, i could not find the Metro sign to get me to the station. So I'm knocking on this information window where this lady is sitting, I say "excusez-moi" deliberately trying not to piss her off by approaching her with english, she looks at me and waves me off. I say it again, she then point to the sign which was in french and turned back around.

Then this lady (we'll call her 'Ms. Wonderful')walks up, she spoke a little english as she was walking up, I thought, lets see how this goes. Then she taps the window and speaks full on french, the lady ignores her again and Ms. Wonderful raises her voice, yells at this woman in french and demands an answer. The woman behind the window walks over and directs us across the walkway to another window. Ms. Wonderful grabs my arm and says come on, she gets both of our questions answered, and turns out we end up taking the same train. While on the train she tells me she from Illinois, but moved to Europe 45 years ago, I talk a bit about stuttering. We later get separated by train doors, but her last words to me were that she'll be looking for my TED talk and God Bless. I don't know if Ill ever do a Ted Talk, they scare me, but Ms. Wonderful and I were placed in the train station just for that moment and Im thankful for it.



No comments:

Post a Comment