Thursday, September 4, 2014

Day 9 #100TerrifyingDays Ignorance lives, and Im over it.

Im posting this on day 10 because life gets a little cray sometimes. So yesterday I had an encounter with a customer at work, I was voluntarily stuttering with all of my customers, struggle free, and just making sure that I was comfortable in myself while doing this. We can call that a challenge, but its just my way of getting to where I want to be with my speech.

So I ask this guy if he'd like p-p-p-paper or p-p-p before I could get the next word out he smiles and loudly (and I mean loudly, so loud that my two co-workers next to me stopped what they were doing to figure out what was going on) says B-B-B-B-Both. I stop what I was doing, look at him and say...I have a stutter, he looks at me smiles and says, "ahhh thats ok, take your time, I don't mind" My response was, yeah I don't mind it either, its just what it is. Ive been in enough situations like this to know how to let it pass by quickly, get the customer gone and deal with the emotional part that it may stir in me a little later.

After he left, my co-workers on either side of me said 'What the Fuck was that?" "Did he just do what I think he did?" My reply was, yes, he did, he's dumb, and ignorant and that shit happens all the time. They were furious, I was sad, Im tired of stuff like this happening, and though I stood up for myself, somewhat, Im now promising myself to educate people, in whatever manner I need to.

I once had a woman come into my store, lay her hands on me and pray...in tongues, then told me I wasn't healed because my faith was too little. REALLY!!!! Aside from hearing that from my own church throughout my childhood, I now have to deal with it from strangers, she then used an EBT card to pay for her food. I thought, "you should probably ask God to fix your finances in that case" (that was mean, I know) I told one of my managers this story and he shrugged it off as if it was nothing out of the ordinary. This only tells me that I have to take things into my own hands. I refuse to allow people to get away with such ignorant comments and behaviors. Its my job (for now), and I refuse to allow this stupidity to continue, at least not for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment